Members of PBM are connected as a fraternity through fellowship, common values and shared goals. It is exciting to see the themes of mentorship, collaboration and leadership demonstrated by our members and chapters.
Thank you to each of the chapters that submitted reports of their Special Projects this year. By sharing your experiences and resources, you help develop a dialogue that has the potential to encourage and inspire others.
Special projects chair Dwayne Sagen is always interested in receiving information regarding chapter special projects. Please take time to share the goals and projects that your chapter has embarked upon this year.
Chapter Special Projects 2015
Over 12 chapters submitted details of their Special Projects:
- We welcomed first-time communication from Alpha Chi [Virginia]; Iota [Kansas]; Lambda [Missouri]; Mu [Ohio], and hope to hear more from them in the future.
Common themes were:
- Mentoring of young band directors
- Experienced directors now travel to the schools and provide hands-on teaching during band rehearsals. [Until now, mentoring sessions only took place during conventions.] The direct feedback has proven to be very effective.
- Fundraising [with goals beyond providing scholarships] by providing bands with funds to:
- support young band directors and their programs
- assist in replacing/repairing instruments, uniforms and music that were damaged by natural disasters
- Involvement in state band Directors’ Halls of Fame
- Commissioning new band compositions
- Providing leadership for state music education conferences
Examples of some individual chapters’ Special Projects:
- Delta [Mississippi] | Website ⇒
Young Band Director Project
Delta Chapter upholds a strong tradition of mentorship and has produced a series of teaching videos covering many aspects of the band director’s job. Topics covered include classroom discipline, warm-up procedures, handling required paperwork needed for participation in state music festivals, sight reading, rehearsal techniques, and communication strategies. We extend special thanks to Ted Burns and the members of Delta Chapter for sharing this excellent resource with us!
View the video Communication Administration and Parents
Note: The entire series is available on the Mississippi Bandmasters website for viewing.
- Lambda Iota [Ontario, Canada]
Lambda Iota continues to honor colleagues with induction as Honorary Lifetime Members and in this process discovered a direct connection to our founder, Colonel Earl D. Irons. Another initiative is the sharing of resources, repertoire, rehearsal techniques and personal philosophies of music education through an “open rehearsal” concept.
- Phi [New Mexico]
Phi Chapter maintains an ongoing assessment from each member to fund their commission program. Their last composition was El Symbolo de Zia by Dr. B.J.Brooks. It was performed at their All State Convention in 2012.
Psi [Kentucky]Psi Chapter has established its first annual Phi Beta Mu Concert Band Festival for High School and Middle School Bands. The festival aims to be a showcase for the finest concert bands in Kentucky.Four high school and two middle school bands from across the state were afforded the exciting opportunity to perform and work with Ray Cramer, Emeritus Professor and Conductor of the Wind Ensemble from Indiana University. Bands support and learn from each other as audience/workshop members.
Gamma [Indiana] | Website ⇒
- This chapter holds podium exchanges between two directors, with each visiting the others’ rehearsals and providing suggestions to each other.
Lambda [Missouri] | Website ⇒
- Their “Missouri Band Together Fund” provides funds to bands that have experienced damage from natural disasters.
- Lambda Chapter raises funds to support young band directors and new band programs.
Mu Alpha [Alberta, Canada] | Website ⇒
- Mu Alpha Dominica Project
As of April 2014 members of the Mu Alpha team have initiated band programs in 15 secondary schools on the Island Dominion of Dominica. With the support of major donors The Bandstand and The Wind Shoppe, over 600 used instruments have been supplied and shipped to Dominica for use in the programs. Music Missions Dominica receives major support to transport the instruments by sea from the Rotary Club of Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada.
Read more about this exciting outreach project that Mu Alpha in Alberta, Canada is involved with.
|Mike Townsend [2nd from left] and Don Lowry
[right] present instruments and method books
to the music teacher [far left] and the principal
[3rd from left] of Orion Academy in Dominica.
Omricon [Arkansas] | Website ⇒
Chapter Special Projects 2013
Alpha [Texas, USA] | Website ⇒
- Sponsored a reception open to the public at the Texas Bandmasters Association conference in July to “Meet the Legends of Texas Bands.” It was a valuable opportunity for current band directors, former students, colleagues, and friends to connect with the icons of Texas bands.
- In July 2013 a highlight of Celebrating Alpha Chapter’s 75th Anniversary was the premiere of Homage to the Dream, commemorating the 50th Anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King’s I Have a Dream speech, performed by the Dallas Youth Wind Symphony and conducted by Nicholas Williams.
- The Chapter sponsored a conductor’s Reading Band and a Teaching Woodwinds clinic at TBA.
- Presented the Induction Ceremony of the Texas Bandmasters Association Hall of Fame of the 2013 class: Daniel Aleman, Keith Bearden, Robert C. Botello, Kenneth Capshaw, Robin Watson and Gary Wells.
Gamma [Indiana, USA] | Website ⇒
- Beginning first year of mentoring project. Although it only has a modest beginning, we believe this will grow into a significant resource for the young band directors.
- The Chapter is continuing the tradition of guest conductor exchanges with a list of the many available conductors directors listed on our website.
Eta [Tennessee, USA]
- The Chapter annually votes and selects the All-State Band conductor for the TMEA State Music Conference. The All-State Band conductor is a guest and attends the annual Phi Beta Mu meeting held at the convention.
- The Chapter revised criteria for membership and revised criteria for voting members of Eta Chapter.
Kappa Theta [Minnesota, USA] | Website ⇒
- The Chapter established a mentoring project in conjunction with the Minnesota Band Directors Association. We match up our experienced members with new band directors throughout the state. We are in the third year of this cooperative project and have many young band directors who are being advised by Phi Beta Mu members.
Mu Alpha [Alberta, Canada] | Website ⇒
- The Chapter held two meetings; one in November at the Provincial Music Conference and in June the Spring Social in Edmonton.
- Provided scholarships to band members in Alberta who qualified for the Canadian National Youth Band.
Nu [Pennsylvania, USA] | Website ⇒
- The Chapter recently completed a By-Law and Constitution update and is working to fill the committees updated/created in the document.
- We sponsor a scholarship for an outstanding senior planning to major in music education. Applicants will be accepted throughout the State of Pennsylvania.
Omicron [Arkansas, USA] | Website ⇒
- The Chapter provided financial support for the Raymond Brandon Scholarship given to a new band director each year in Arkansas.
- Sponsorship of clinics at the Arkansas Bandmasters Convention. Presented the annual Young Band Director’s Award.
- Provided upkeep for Arkansas Bandmasters Hall of Fame housed permanently at Hot Springs Convention Center.
- The Chapter oversees a network of mentors to assist band programs across the state.
Rho [Alabama, USA]
- The Chapter published Tips that Click four times a year in State Journal, Ala breve.
- It also provided an annual scholarship to a high school senior pursuing instrumental music degree from a college in Alabama.
- Members volunteered to participate in AL Bandmasters Association Mentoring Program.
- Hosted All-State Guest Directors at annual State business/lunch meeting.
- Published New Band Director’s Handbook for national and state deadlines, forms, activities, and dates of band events.
- Presented Band Director of the Year award and administered Alabama Bandmasters Hall of Fame.
- Facilitated recording of all-state tryout exercises.