- Founded: 1938 by Colonel D.O. Irons
- Charter members: Carl Cochran; R.A. Dhossche; Walter S. Dickensen; Sanford Eskridge; Joe L. Haddon; Robert McCown; Clyde Rowe; George M. Rucker; Russell E. Shrader; Richard Walker; D.O. Wiley.
- First official meeting: February 1939 at Rice Hotel in Houston, Texas.
- First initiates: Weldon Covington; Jack Mahan; R.C. Davidson; Lyle Skinner; Vergne Adams; Holmes McNeeley; Alfred M. Riley.
- First honorary member: Dr. Cothburn O’Neal; in recognition of his work with Col. Irons in setting up the Fraternity Constitution and Oath. View our full history.
- 346 active; 163 retired active; two honorary members
- Attendance: 350 to 400
Annual Business Meeting:
- Held during the Texas Music Educators Association conference in February of each year
- New member induction ceremony is at breakfast held on the Saturday of the TMEA Conference
- Presented at Texas Bandmasters Association Convention held in July of each year
- Outstanding Young Bandmaster: less than 10 years’ experience
- Outstanding Contributor to Bands: usually given to a music dealer, although others have been recognized.
- Texas Bandmasters Hall of Fame: six to ten distinguished directors are honored each year
- Alpha Chapter offers a Directors Reading Band at TBA, previewing new publications at an informal concert during the convention.
In 2013 Alpha celebrated its 75th Anniversary.
Alpha offers the Band Directors Support Network to any band director in the state. The Network consists of three free services – mentoring, free clinics, or classroom coverage so that a director may observe teaching at another location. Band directors access the Network from our website and select the teacher(s) with whom they wish to work.
Visit Alpha Chapter website.