- Charter granted: 1946
- First meeting: 1953.
Since being founded in 1953, Gamma Chapter has initiated over 250 members. The Chapter was organized by Harold Walters who had become an early honorary member of Phi Beta Mu.
Charter members included:
Richard Bowles; Merle Bucklew; Frank Cofield; Carroll Copeland; Charles Henzie; Nilo Hovey; Larry Johnston; Roy Johnson; William Kleyla; Col. Herbert B. Laswell; Aden K. Long; Dr. Newell H. Long; Don Marketto; Clarence Marocco; William Marocco; Donald Minix; Ben Niles; Bazil O’Reilley; Joseph Owens; Maurice Shadley; Claude B. Smith; Elbert (Al) Stodden; George Vaught; Dalton Wicker
- First officers: Maurice Shadley, President; Bazil O’Reilley, Vice President; Frank Cofield, Secretary/Treasurer
- 138 members: 71 active; 63 retired active; 4 honorary; 12 inactive
- First Saturday of December in the Indianapolis area for business meeting and luncheon
- Attendance at meetings averages 85.
- Hall of Fame and Outstanding Bandmaster Awards presented at Indiana Bandmasters Association All-State Band Concert in March
- A golf outing is held each summer.
- Part of our flower/memorial fund is supported by ‘fining’ members who forget to wear their pins.
- Mentoring for 1st year and young directors
- Sponsoring 1 or more young directors to the Conn-Selmer Clinic
- Podium exchange between members
- Recognizing pioneers of the early band movement in Indiana
A recent update of our public website includes a photo and brief information about current members. For more information, visit Gamma Chapter’s website.